Thursday, March 6, 2008

Vignette without Comment

From a woman I know:

"I just read your latest Zonemaven, and with a shiver remembered my 'house' back in 1985.

Six of us shared a house (read 'dump unfit for a family') on High Street just near Laurel Park. We five girls were college students plus our favorite bouncer/bartender who lived downstairs (read 'back porch/unfinished basement'). As you can imagine we had lots of company, some of whom mentioned the frequent aroma of natural gas. I guess I was desensitized to it by living there and never noticed a thing.

Two months after we moved out the house blew up and burned to the ground due to a natural gas explosion. Fortunately no one was living there at the time.

Will nothing will be done about the rooming-house problem until such an event kills a bunch of kids?

Lucky-to-be-alive

L….."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see a post with comments open for "outing" illegal rooming houses by address. Once identified, they can be discussed as desired... landlords, owners, history of issues or not, neighborhood, etc. Just information, which might be enjoyed by others.

Anonymous said...

I think that "outing" illegal rooming houses by address is something to consider.I think that identifying the owners and property managers of these properties publicly sounds fair- let these people be publicly exposed for their dishonesty and blatant disregard for the law.